Monday, May 14, 2012

50-50 Entry Sample Diptychs



Surfer's Beach, watercolor and oil
OIL AND W/C SOLD

Poppy Field, watercolor and oil

McNee Ranch, watercolor and oil

 Theme (10 words or less): California landscape in watercolor reexamined in oil.

I gained special permission to submit diptychs for the Sanchez 50-50 show, a juried show in which selected artists paint fifty 6 x 6" paintings in fifty days. Clay spend a good part of a day making the diptych JPEGs for me. (Dipsticks, he called them.)

I'm very excited about how these look side by side. The "dipsticks" show the difference in the two media: the vibrancy, the washes, the feel. The pigments are extremely close because when I went back to oils, after fifteen years of studying pigments with Evelyn, I researched the oils and choose those oils with the exact same pigments as my favorite watercolors. Finally, I feel that I have come into my own as an artist with these two media. I painted oils for four years in high school and then watercolors for fifteen years with Evelyn. I feel complete, now, working in both media.

No comments:

Post a Comment