Friday, February 3, 2012

Painting 119 Bamboo

Bamboo, watercolor on handmade rice paper with bamboo leaves, 12 x 8" is a sample painting for my CUMC class on Sunday. The paper, which I bought from Duane last year, is from Evelyn Wright's estate. I believe that the paper was hand carried by Duane from Japan.

The idea of the bamboo painting is to keep things simple, to say much with as few brush strokes as possible, to allow the negative space to speak.

The red mark is from my chop which says "Mary Kay" in Chinese. My chop was carved by an old gentleman in the Kee Fung Ng Gallery on the corner of Grant and Clay Streets in San Francisco. In December, I sent my friends down to get chops carved and found out that the old gentleman had passed away and no one else was carving. So sad. It makes my chop even more special now.

No comments:

Post a Comment